Michael & Micah Horner
Broken beyond repair. That’s the simplest (and really nicest) way to describe the condition Micah and I were in the first time we stepped foot in Vegas.
Vegas was the city where our whole lives literally fell apart. Sept. 11, 2008 was our own personal dooms day, and Vegas just happened to be where it all unfolded. Micah and I separated that day with little hope of reconciliation. The damage was just SO extensive. From every angle the situation looked impossible.
But God, in His great mercy and love, entered into our chaos, met us in our desperate places, and transformed the atmosphere of every area that we chose to surrender to Him.
Essentially, He kept transforming & we kept surrendering.
On Exalting Christ
New Thing Church desires to be an influential community of transformed Jesus followers who live to exalt Christ in every aspect of our daily lives. We believe that Christ is best exalted when His people intentionally embody His spirit of grace, acts of love, life of character, and hearts of joy in the world around us.
We realize that we can do NOTHING apart from Christ. “New Thing” was birthed in our hearts after a 6 month season of prayer and fasting; because of this, we know that what began in prayer must be maintained in prayer. That’s why we desire to be a church of Big Expectant Prayers, making prayer center to the life and culture of this community of Jesus followers.
On Disciple Making
We also believe that Christ’s final commission should be our first mission. We believe that the most effective disciple making happens at the intersection of life and truth in the context of real relationships. That’s why we see NTC as a church of small groups of intentional disciple-makers; training, transforming, mobilizing, and multiplying others for the purpose of knowing Him and making Him known both locally and globally.
On Real Relationships
We believe that experiencing a transformed life hinges on 3 primary relationships: A vibrant personal relationship with Jesus; an authentic, transparent relationship with His people; and a compassionate, missional relationship with His world. We see NTC not as a religious gathering, building, or organization; but as a living, breathing, organism led by the Holy Spirit and linked together by authentic relationships.
On Family Diversity
We see NTC as a powerful redemptive witness to the world by being a multicultural, multiethnic, multigenerational family UNITED under the headship of Christ. It is our privilege to demonstrate how a common love for the Savior has the power to transcend those cultural differences that commonly divide. We believe that diversity in the family is not a new thing, but a New Testament thing.
On Kingdom Expansion
We see NTC as a family of diverse, transformed, Jesus-following, disciple-making, prayer warriors seeking to expand God’s kingdom by living missionally, serving regularly, sending cross-culturally, and multiplying disciples and churches steadily. We see church planting as key to kingdom expansion. On average new church plants see 6-8 times more new believers brought into the kingdom than older churches of the same size. Leadership development and church planting pipelines will be a key strategy in accomplishing this vision.
- Move to Vegas
- Develop Church Planting Strategy
- Cast Vision, develop financial and prayer partnerships with churches & families.
- Develop personnel
- Prayer walking
- Start & develop 1st small group
- Church planting training & development through Hope Church apprenticeship
- Build relationships with local pastors & community leaders
- Serve in the community
- Disciple leaders in small group. Training in multiplication
- Secure a part-time job
- International mission trip
- Launch splash page website
- Complete MULTIPLY training & other training events
- Commissioned by Hope Church
- Continue Prayer Walking
- Identify, train, & disciple core group team in vision, values & strategy
- Regular community engagement & relationship building with leaders
- Team service evangelism
- Multiply small groups
- Collaborate with community leaders, ministries, churches, & church planters to serve the city
- International mission trip with leaders in core team. Instill world vision.
- Mobilize visiting mission teams
- Continue prayer walking
- Continue leadership development
- Continue engaging community & service evangelism
- Continue multiplying small groups
- National & International Mission trip with leaders
- Begin purchasing equipment for public launch
- Design & implement plans for launch service
- Plan & conduct preview gatherings
- Develop follow up plan for preview gatherings
- Identify & train future church planter
- LAUNCH 1st public celebration service
- Continue multiplying small groups & prayer walking
- Grow & develop weekly celebration gatherings
- Implement various adult & children ministries
- Expand local, national, & international missions
- Continue leadership development
- Pray for church planting partnerships internationally
- Continue collaborating with community leaders, churches, & church planters to serve the city
- Continue engaging community
- Hire staff as needed